Second District Supervisor Zach Friend
Zach Friend was elected to the Santa Cruz County Board of Supervisors in June 2012 and was selected by his fellow Board members as Chairperson for 2014. He represents the Second District, which includes Aptos, La Selva Beach, Corralitos, Seacliff, Freedom and portions of the cities of Capitola and Watsonville.
For most of the last decade Zach was the Press Information Officer and Crime Analyst for the Santa Cruz Police Department where in addition to acting as the department's spokesman, he analyzed crime statistics to help design more effective prevention and enforcement strategies. Previously he has worked in both houses of Congress and for the White House Council of Economic Advisers.
Zach has a Masters degree in Public Policy from Georgetown University and a BA with Honors in History from the University of California, Santa Cruz. Zach lives in Aptos with his wife.
You can meet with Zach in person most weeks on Wednesdays from 9:00 a.m. until 10:00 a.m. at the Aptos Sheriff's Substation at the Rancho Del Mar Shopping Center, Aptos (near the Safeway supermarket). On the first and third Wednesday of the month, staff will generally be present to aid constituents.
Zach holds office hours in Corralitos on the third Wednesday of the month from 9:00 a.m. until 10:00 a.m. at the Corralitos/Cal Fire Station located at 120 Eureka Canyon Road.
Zach also holds office hours in Watsonville on the fourth Thursday of the month from 9:00 a.m. to 10:00 a.m. at the Sheriff’s South County Service Station located at 790 Green Valley Road, Watsonville. Additionally, on the fourth Thursday of the month, Zach holds office hours in La Selva Beach from 10:30 a.m. to 11:30 a.m. at the La Selva Beach Library located at 316 Estrella Avenue.
Please call Zach's office at 454-2200 in advance to confirm that a meeting will be held on the day you plan to attend. You can also call the office directly to arrange an appointment for your organization.
Supervisor Friend represents the Board of Supervisors on the following regional agencies and boards:
- Highway 1 Construction Authority
- Library Financing Authority
- Local Agency Formation Commission
- Monterey Bay National Marine Sanctuary Task Force
- Monterey Bay Unified Air Pollution Control District Board of Directors
- Oversight Board for the former Redevelopment Agency of the City of Watsonville
- Oversight Board of the Successor Agency for the Redevelopment Agency of the City of Capitola
- Santa Cruz County Regional Transportation Commission
- Santa Cruz County Sanitation District Board of Directors
- Santa Cruz Metropolitan Transit District Board of Directors
- Santa Cruz Mid-County Water Agency Board of Directors
Supervisor Friend and his staff can be contacted as follows:
- 701 Ocean Street, Room 500, Santa Cruz, CA 95060
- (831) 454-2200 (phone)
- (831) 454-3262 (FAX)
Click here to email Supervisor Friend or you may email Supervisor Friend's staff:
Click here to see a map of District 2.