Fifth District Supervisor Bruce McPherson
Bruce McPherson was reelected to the Santa Cruz County Board of Supervisors in November 2016. He represents the Fifth District, which includes the San Lorenzo Valley, most of Scotts Valley, and a small part of Santa Cruz.
Bruce has a long and distinguished record of serving Santa Cruz County. A fourth-generation Santa Cruz County native, Bruce's career began as a reporter at his family newspaper, the Sentinel, later rising to Editor.
He served two terms in the California State Assembly (1993-96) and two terms in the California State Senate (1996-2004). Following the resignation of California’s Secretary of State in early 2005, Bruce was confirmed unanimously in both the Assembly and Senate to be Secretary of State. He was recognized as Legislator of the Year by numerous organizations and foundations.
Supervisor McPherson’s office spearheaded a five-year effort to explore a regional Community Choice Energy agency, which led to the establishment of Monterey Bay Community Power. The joint-powers agency, which includes 19 jurisdictions from the tri-county region, began serving more than 200,000 customer accounts in July 2018. Supervisor McPherson chairs MBCP’s Policy Board.
Throughout the years, Bruce has worked closely with Second Harvest Food Bank, the Land Trust of Santa Cruz County, the Cabrillo College 50th Anniversary Scholarship Committee, United Way, the Tannery Arts Center, Ecology Action, the Monterey Bay National Marine Sanctuary and Exploration Center, American Red Cross, and many other non-profit agencies.
He has been honored for his dedication and commitment to improving education, supporting public safety, fighting for environmental protection, and assisting small businesses.
Supervisor McPherson represents the Board of Supervisors on the following regional agencies and boards:
- Advisory Council – Area Agency on Aging
- Association of Monterey Bay Area Governments Board of Directors
- California State Association of Counties Board of Directors
- Child Welfare Services System Improvement Plan Steering Committee (SIP)
- City Selection Committee
- Visit Santa Cruz Council Board of Directors
- First 5 Commission
- FishNet 4C
- Highway 1 Construction Authority
- Library Financing Authority (Alternate)
- Santa Cruz City/County Library Joint Powers Board
- Santa Cruz County Consolidated Redevelopment Oversight Board (Alternate)
- Santa Cruz County Regional Transportation Commission
- Santa Cruz Metropolitan Transit District Board of Directors (Chair)
- Treasury Oversight Commission
Staff to Supervisor McPherson includes:
Supervisor McPherson can be contacted as follows:
Supervisor McPherson holds meetings in the district twice a month. Constituent meetings are a drop-in opportunity to meet with Supervisor McPherson or his staff to discuss any issue of concern. Meetings are held from 12:15 to 1:30, switching between the Sheriff Community Service Center in Felton, 6062 Graham Hill Road, Suite A and the Sheriff Community Service Center in Boulder Creek, 13210 Central Ave. (Highway 9.)
2019 Meeting Dates:
- January 23 - Boulder Creek
- February 6 - Felton
- February 20 - Boulder Creek
- March 6 - Felton
- March 20 - Boulder Creek
- April 3 - Felton
- April 17 - Boulder Creek
- May 1 - Felton
- May 15 - Boulder Creek
- June 5 - Felton
- June 19 - Boulder Creek
- No Meetings in July
- August 7 - Felton
- August 21 - Boulder Creek
- September 4 - Felton
- September 18 - Boulder Creek
- October 2 - Felton
- October 16 - Boulder Creek
- November 6 - Felton
- November 20 - Boulder Creek
- December 4 - Felton
- December 18 - Boulder Creek
Boulder Creek Town Plan
Ben Lomond Town Plan
Felton Town Plan
Click here to see a map of District 5.